Monday, April 11, 2005

They say Bush has no man date

This curious piece in the New York Times "Fashion and Style" section last weekend: "Simply defined a man date is two heterosexual men socializing without the crutch of business or sports. It is two guys meeting for the kind of outing a straight man might reasonably arrange with a woman. Dining together across a table without the aid of a television is a man date; eating at a bar is not. Taking a walk in the park together is a man date; going for a jog is not. Attending the movie 'Friday Night Lights' is a man date, but going to see the Jets play is definitely not. "

Confession time: I have been on many "man dates." In fact, I have been on "man dates" with other contributors to this blog. (I'm a old-school nerd who never really followed sports, and I'm about as careerist and business-minded as grape jelly. ) Before this, I never would of thought twice about this. Now, I feel . . . dirty somehow.

I just don't know if I feel that way because the Times seems to think there's something odd about this, or because I inadvertantly became trendy many years before my time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

treefog:
So you lied when you told me you could slam dunk! I knew it!

Goodreads Feed