The submerged parts of this iceberg story include these details:
- There were no incidents of guards flushing the Koran.
- All of those who disrespected the Koran were immediately disciplined.
- The report finds that 4 out of 5 of the incidents occurred before strict guidelines for handling the Koran were sent to guards in January 2003.
- Some incidents were accidental.
- The report summary states that "the Southern Command policy of Koran handling is serious, respectful and appropriate."
- There were 15 incidents of prisoners desecrating the Koran, including ripping out pages and (drum-roll, please). . . shoving the pages into the toilet.