Saturday, May 21, 2005

Who are you, Charles Curran edition

Treefrog informs us that former Catholic University theology professor Charles Curran has resurfaced, this time with Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey in tow. They've apparently released a remix of the Who's '79 hit "Who Are You?" with new lyrics by Curran, reprinted here:

I woke up in a DC dorm where
theologians knew my way.
I said, "I once had some tenure here,
was the glory of CUA."

But I went back to a podium,
And I trashed Humanae V
to students brought up on JP2
who watched his funeral on TV.

chorus:
They said:
Who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
You'll never be the pope (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
Tell me, who are you? (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)
I don't really wanna know (Who are you? Who, who, who, who?)

It was '68 when I challenged Paul,
I said that Catholics could dissent
Could take a pill or wrap it up,
As long as they had a pure intent.

And sodomy's not wrong for those
Seeking loving permanence
Why should we leave an urge ungratified?
Man, you'll only pitch a tent!

Well, who are you?
Ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa ooh wa ...

(chorus)


I know of a place I walked
In a long and tenured stay.
But now they've no time for sterile talk.
That’s the problem with kids today.

They spat me out like the lukewarm
By the Brookland Metro track.
How can I tenure as a Catholic now
When they don’t really want me back?

2 comments:

eulogos said...

I am not sure of what "pitch a tent" means in this ditty.

Does it refer to the Yeats line "Love has pitched his manor in the place of excrement." ?
(which was not about homosexuality, as the line before is (I think, this is close,anyway) "A woman can be proud and stiff, when on love intent."
The line after is (untrue)"Nothing can be sole or whole, which has not been rent."

Quite a ditty.
Is it true that the students have changed and that there are that many JPII fans, HV supporters, etc?

Susan Peterson

Anonymous said...

Yeats? Did he used to work at Mad Magazine?

Goodreads Feed